Social studies Coordinator Yvonne Salinas knows how patriotic students are in the Southside Independent School District. She wanted to do something to help students express their patriotism and organized the district’s first patriotic art contest.
Dozens of students submitted beautiful artwork, but the school board could select only one. When the judging was over, Heritage Elementary School third grader, Bianca Chacon’s work came out on top. Chacon’s artwork will now be converted into a limited edition Fiesta medal. The reasonably priced medals are expected to go on sale in February just in time for San Antonio’s Fiesta celebrations. Congratulations to all participants!
Campus winners include:
- Rachel Fernandez of Pearce Primary
- John Nunez of Losoya Intermediate
- Gabriela Simental of Southside High School
- Natalie Stockton of Matthey Middle School
- Evelyn Baer of Gallardo Elementary