Southside ISD strives to provide a high-quality, comprehensive benefits package to our valued employees.
As a new hire, you have the first 30 days of employment to enroll in benefits. Coverage begins the first of the month following the date of hire.
After the initial enrollment period, changes in benefits can only be made during the annual open enrollment period. Mid-year changes are only accepted if you have a qualifying event.
What is a Qualifying Event?
A qualifying event is a life-changing event that causes a change in the level of coverage or eligibility for coverage of health insurance benefits. It is a personal change in the employee’s status which allows them under the IRS “Change of Status” regulations to make a change to health insurance benefits with the district.
Ex. Birth, Adoption, Death, Marriage, Divorce, Involuntary loss of coverage in another group plan., Gaining other coverage in another group plan
What are the requirements to make a change?
- You only have 30 days from the date of the event to make a change.
- You are required to fill out and turn in the Benefit Change Form within 30 days of the event.
- You are required to send supporting documentation within 30 days of the event.
- Birth – Verification of Birth Facts, Birth Certificate
- Adoption – Adoption papers
- Death – Death Certificate
- Marriage – Marriage license
- Divorce – (if results in loss of coverage) Divorce papers (First and last pages with judge’s signature)
- Involuntary loss of coverage – Certificate of Creditable Coverage or statement on letterhead from the terminating group insurance plan explaining who was covered, why coverage is ending and the date coverage ends. The document must clearly indicate the coverage for health and/or dental, the insurance company name and policy number.
- Gaining other coverage in another group plan – statement on letterhead from the new group insurance explaining who was covered and when coverage started, policy number and type of coverage or a copy of the new insurance cards.
Refer to this list when you need to contact one of your benefit providers. For general information, please contact the Southside ISD Office of Employee Benefits, Financial Benefit Services, or log on to mybenefitshub.com/southsideisd [How to log into Employee Benefits Portal]