March Madness has come to our 3rd graders here at Gallardo. Our students have the opportunity to participate in this reading challenge and advance through a variety of rounds ending with the Championship Round. A student reading log was sent home with students so they can keep track of the minutes they read. Students received a drawstring bag, a bookmark and a book provided by Scholastic to begin. Parents if you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact our school Librarian, Rebecca Santos at (210) 882-1609 ext. 1357.
Where has the time gone? It seems as if our students just started school and yet here we are preparing for Winter Break. We want to take this time to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a joyful New Year. Be sure to take some time to sit back relax and spend time with your love ones to help create wonderful memories. We will be closed from December 18th – January 2nd. Students will return to school on January 3rd.
We wanted to take the time and share with you that Gallardo is “Leader in Me School”. With that being said we have adopted the 7 habits which are listed below:
- “Be proactive” – You’re in charge. I choose my actions and attitudes. I do the right thing without being asked. I do not blame others for my wrong actions.
- “Begin with the end in mind” – Have a plan. I plan ahead and set goals. I am an important part of my class. My work is important.
- “Put first things first” – Work first. Then play. I spend my time on the most important things. I say no to things I know I should not do so. I make a plan and follow it.
- “Think win-win” – Everyone can win. I balance my thinking about what I want with my thinking about what others want. I think about ways to make others happy. When there is a conflict, I try to find the best solution for everyone.
- “Seek first to understand, then to be understood” – Listed before you talk. I listen to other people’s ideas and feelings. I listen to others without interrupting. I look people in the eyes when talking.
- “Synergize” – Together is better. I get along well with others, even people who are different from me. I work well in groups. I work in a team to help solve problems.
- “Sharpen the saw” – Balance feels best. I take care of my body by eating right, exercising and getting enough sleep. I spend time with family and friends. I learn in lots of ways and lots of places, not just at school.
This week we are covering habit 4. These habits are rotated every 7 weeks. We wanted to share information with you in case one of children should mention it and also as a way for parents to help their children as well.
Our Annual Thanksgiving Luncheon was a huge success !! It was great to see so many parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles come and have lunch with their child/children. Everyone had a great time !! Thank you to all who came to celebrate the day.
There will be no school November 20th – November 24th. We will resume school on Monday, November 27th. We at Gallardo would like to take this opportunity to wish everyone a wonderful Thanksgiving and enjoy time with your family.
Please look in your child’s backpacks today for a letter from our Superintendent, Mr. Mark Eads.
Be A Champion, Inc. has partnered with Southside ISD to provide afternoon meals for all our students. These meals will be handed out every day ten minutes before dismissal. Due to this great oppportunity, effective on Thursday, October 26th, school will begin at 7:30. The tardy bell will ring at 7:31. By making this change, it will allow time for us to deliver the food at the end of the day.
WOW !! We are off to a great start this year !! As you can see many improvements have been made to our campus to better serve our students and parents. Painting of the inside of the school was completed just before school began. We’ve improved on the parent drop off line by making it flow more easily and also providing additional coverage when it rains. Gallardo Elementary teachers and staff are working together as a TEAM to help our students learn in the best environment possible.
Our students are learning the Seven Habits from the Leader in Me program. Every week the students are introduced to a new habit and the habits repeat every seven weeks.
This weeks Habit of the Week is # 7 which is to: Sharpen the Saw – which means: Balance feels best
I take care of my body. I eat healthy, get sleep, and exercise. I find meaningful ways to help other people learn from many places, not just in school.
Our Leader in me pledge is: The Leader In Me will be safe, respectful and responsible in all we say and do.
What an awesome first day of school !!!! It was great to see our students returning as well as some new faces. We appreciate your patience as we make a few adjustments to better serve our students.
We will be hosting our Meet the Teacher this coming Thursday, August 31, 2017 from 4:00-6:00 p.m. and look forward to seeing you.
What an exciting week this has been as we prepare to welcome our students back!!! We have been busy getting the classrooms ready for the first day of school on Monday August 28, 2017.
Be sure to check our website calendar for upcoming events.
Please note: Our doors open at 7:00 a.m.
Breakfast is served from 7:15-7:30 a.m.
Tardy Bell rings at 7:40 a.m.
Instruction begins at 7:40 a.m.
End of day: 2:58 p.m.