Losoya Middle School head custodian Amalia Gonzalez didn’t hesitate to open the Losoya Middle School gym to help families keep warm during the Big Freeze of ’21. From Feb. 14th through Feb. 19th, thousands of families in the Southside ISD went without electricity and water while temperatures remained below freezing. A fast decision by Superintendent Mr. Rolando Ramirez not only allowed families to spend the night in the gym and shower, and provide breakfast, lunch, and dinner to families. The warming center cared for 250 people during the 48 hours it was open.
On Tuesday, March 2, Superintendent Ramirez presented plaques to custodians, child nutrition workers, and a paraprofessional for their role in operating the warming center. Workers received plaques that read, “With Deep Appreciation and Gratitude for Your Tireless Service in Caring for Hundreds at the District’s Warming Center During the Big Freeze of ’21.” The honorees include:
- Ms. Maria Gutierrez, Secretary to Asst. Supt. Dr. Jodi Spoor
- Ms. Amalia Gonzalez, Head custodian at Losoya Middle School
- Ms. Misty Hinojosa, Child Nutrition Manager at Losoya Middle School
- Mr. Felix Hernandez, Custodian at Losoya Middle School
- Ms. Fabiola Cortez, Custodian at Losoya Middle School
- Ms. Amanda Ochoa, Freedom Elementary para-professional