Board Report from Thursday, July 16, 2020
The Southside ISD Board of Managers met via digital communications on Thursday, July 16, 2020. The meeting was conducted pursuant to Governor Abbott’s Temporary Suspension of Open Meetings Laws issued on March 16, 2020, the meeting was conducted via Google Hangouts Meet Online Videoconference. Present: Board President, Mrs. Dolores Sendejo; Vice President, Dr. Lonna Clinch; Secretary, Mrs. Velia Minjarez; Mr. Bruce Brannon, Mr. Jesse Hernandez, Mrs. Katie Farias, Ms. Margarita Morales, and Superintendent of Schools Mr. Rolando Ramirez.
- INFORMATION: District Chief Financial Officer; Mr. Stanley Osborne presented a review of financial statements for June 2020.
- INFORMATION: Transition Plan for 2020-2021 School Year. Deputy Superintendent; Dr. Fred Hayes gave a presentation on the District’s Transition Plan. Superintendent Mr. Rolando Ramirez said, “Parents should be the deciders of their children’s education.” The following learning models were offered:
– remote learning
– hybrid model
– In-person model
Dr. Hayes also presented the Safely Reopen Plan. Among the Guiding principles:
- Students and staff feel safe
- SISD will keep children and employees 1st in all decisions
- Will seek guidance from SA Metro Health
- SISD will offer the best educational opportunities
The Safely Reopen Plan also includes:
- Roles and Responsibilities for participation involving students, parents, and teachers.
The Learn Your Way Plan
- Cardinal Schoolhouse learning option (in-school instruction)
- Cardinal Half & Half option (blended model of in-school instruction and virtual learning)
- Cardinal Online Academy learning option (PreK-12 online program)
Pre-registration is required for all.
Dr. Hayes presented that all student instruction will be remote for at least the first three weeks (depending on local health conditions).
In-person learning will be left up to parents.
The School Operations contains numerous guidelines including:
- Personal protective equipment
- Sanitizing guidelines
- Arrival, dismissal, and transition guidelines
COVID-19 Health Protocols
Stage 1 – Prevention
Stage 2 – Mitigation
Stage 3 – Closure
Stage 4 – District Closure
We will schedule parent meetings during the week of July 20. The meetings will provide parents will important information on returning back-to-school for Fall 2020.
Additionally, Southside ISD will conduct a one-day test run. The District is also exploring temperature tunnels to expedite our students’ entry into campuses.
Superintendent Ramirez said, “We will train students on transitioning into remote learning on a days’ notice. We will also maintain close contact with San Antonio Metro Health.”
- INFORMATION: Cardinal Academy Summer Blast (summer school) Principal Mr. Ricardo Moreno reported 621 Kindergarten through 8th-grade students were enrolled in the program.
- Summer School High School Principal Mr. Michael Miller reported that 300 high school students were enrolled in the summer credit recovery program which is 100 percent self-paced.
INFORMATION: Update on Curriculum Writing – District Director of School Improvement; Dr. Jodi Spoor reported that there will be a standardized writing curriculum across the District utilizing technology. Additionally, all campuses will now have the same resources, i.e. accelerated reading. Dr. Spoor said, “We will provide quality education from minute one.”
INFORMATION: Unified Dress Code (uniforms) – Assistant Superintendent; Dr. Genese Bell discussed the possibility of exploring uniforms for Southside ISD students. Among the benefits she pointed out that having a unified dress code:
- Promotes school unity and a sense of belonging
- Sense of pride
Superintendent Ramirez said he supports uniform shirts saying, “It’s an equalizer and brings a sense of belonging.”
Superintendent Ramirez said parents will be surveyed to learn sentiment on uniform shirts.
CONSENT AGENDA Items A-D: Approved by the Board
#1 The Board approved 2020-2021 Calendar Option 1. The first day of school is August 17, 2020. The calendar was approved by a majority of parents and employees surveyed.
#2 The Board approved the purchase of more than $50,000 for Chromebooks to assist Southside ISD students who need the technology.
#3 The Board approved the purchase of more than $50,000 for Wi-Fi hotspots to assist Southside ISD students who need Internet access.
#4 The Board approved the purchase of more than $50,000 for laptops to replace aging laptops being used by teachers and District staff.
#5 The Board approved a budget amendment for the TIRZ payment from the General Fund.
#6 The Board approved a budget amendment allowing the purchase of furniture for the Menchaca Early Childhood Center principal’s office.
#7 The Board approved the purchase of more than $50,000 for a walk-in freezer/cooler for the District’s Child Nutrition Department.
#8 The Board approved the purchase of more than $50,000 to provide coverage for sports and other activities with Monarch Management Corporation DBA Alamo Insurance Group.
There was no Closed Meeting (executive session) and the Board meeting adjourned at