Board Report from Thursday, June 18, 2020
The Southside ISD Board of Managers and Trustees met in person and conducted the board meeting at the Southside ISD Administrative Offices on Thursday, June 18, 2020. The meeting was also presented by online video conference. It was the District’s first board meeting conducted under the leadership of Superintendent Mr. Rolando Ramirez since assuming the position on June 1, 2020.
- Board Policy DEC: Mrs. Sharon Fuery, Executive Director of Human Resources, discussed Board Policy DEC. The presentation focused on the federal Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA). This law provides employees with paid sick leave or expanded family and medical leave for specified reasons related to COVID-19. The law is in effect until December 31, 2020, however it could be extended.
- Summer School Plans: Deputy Superintendent Dr. Fred Hayes and Director of School Improvement Dr. Jodi Spoor outlined plans for the fun, fun, fun, Cardinal Academy Summer Blast (summer school) to begin July 6 through July 30. The Cardinal Academy Summer Blast is for all Southside ISD students. It will be an engaging online innovative experience that truly makes learning fun. We will also provide paper packets for students who need them. The Cardinal Academy also includes fine arts and fun physical activity. Students will have live interaction with teachers. Additionally, students will have the opportunity to become math magicians and science explorers. Southside High School has already initiated successful credit recovery program. All Cardinal Academy summer school students have the chance to receive commemorative t-shirts and gift cards as an incentive to progress academically. Incentives also apply to campus administrators. Superintendent Ramirez says teachers at the campus with the greatest percentage of pre-registered students will win a nice meal. The Board learned that Matthey Middle School is ahead by one percentage point over Heritage Elementary in the number of registered students.
- Graduation Plans: Southside High School held a curbside distribution of diplomas earlier in the month. A virtual graduation video airs Friday, June 19, 2020 at 6:00 p.m. Lastly, students will be able to physically walk the stage on Thursday, July 2 at 8:00 p.m. at Southside Stadium.
- We are One: Ms. Sylvia Rincon, Director of Communications & Marketing, presented the campaign developed under the direction of Superintendent Ramirez. The campaign has several key elements including a focus on transparency. Superintendent Ramirez will host Facebook Live sessions with the community. The Superintendent will also present video summaries regularly. Additionally, the campaign includes 1:1 opportunities for our students. Students will no longer need to share their technology. For those needing assistance, the District will provide Wi-Fi hotspots and one Chromebook for each student to use.
- Transition Plans: Deputy Superintendent Dr. Fred Hayes outlined what the District’s Transition Task Force presented for Fall 2020. It includes plans for students attending school online, on campus, or both. Dr. Hayes says campuses can accommodate half of student population to lessen the potential exposure to coronavirus. Lower numbers equals lower exposure. Also, if allowed, attendance will be limited at extracurricular activities such as football games.
- Financial Statements: Mr. Stanley Osborne, Chief Financial Officer, announced expenses for the current fiscal year will be lower than expected and the fund balance is expected to grow.
- #1 The Board approved Consideration and adoption of an order of the Southside Independent School District authorizing the issuance of a Tax-Exempt series of unlimited Tax Refunding Bonds: Levying a Tax and providing for the security and payment thereof: providing for the award of the sale thereof in accordance with specified parameters: authorizing the execution and delivery of a purchase contract, a paying agent/registrar agreement and an escrow agreement relating to such bonds: approving the preparation of an official statement; enacting other provisions relating thereto. Mr. Stanley Osborne said the bond sale is expected to save the District at least $554,000. This item was approved by the Board.
- #2 The Board approved Consideration and adoption of an order of the Southside Independent School District Authorizing the issuance of Taxable Series of Unlimited Tax Refunding Bonds; levying a tax and providing for the Security and payment thereof: providing for the award of the Sale Thereof in Accordance with specified parameters: Authorizing the Execution and agreement relating to such bonds: approving the preparation of an official statement; enacting other provisions relating thereto. Mr. Stanley Osborne said the bond sale is expected to save the District at least $1 million. This item was approved by the Board.
- #3 The Board approved Discuss and consider approval of Resolution to give authority to refund bonds within identified parameters. This item was not acted on, as the Board had previously approved the resolution.
- #4 The Board approved Discuss and consider approval of Budget Amendment for Meals for Substitutes Program 2019-2020. This item was approved by the Board.
- There was no Closed Meeting (executive session) and the meeting adjourned at 7:42 p.m.