This is a historic year for the Foundation. For the first time, SEF gave out seven innovation grants at the SISD Back to School Convocation. More than 600 employees will be in attendance to cheer on their colleagues.
The Foundation has worked hard this year raising money through its annual Golf Tournament, Casino Night and Basketball Tournament. SEF is also now a part of the United Way Charitable Campaign (organization # 8063). We are excited to be a part of this amazing organization. The Foundation raised enough money to fund $10,000 in scholarships in May and will now be awarding $15,000 in Innovation Grants for the teachers of Southside ISD.
And here they are…the 2018-2019 winners:
- Project: LEGO Education Robots: This STEM project merges robotics with one of America’s popular toys…LEGOs.
- Grant award: $4650.00
- Applicant: Belinda c. Jasso – Heritage Elementary
- Project: American Dream Project: Transforming the Teachable Moment into a Wearable One: Merging literature with the concept of capturing the moment through T-shirt designs not unlike going to an event or a concert and taking home the keepsake shirt.
- Grant award: $2700.00
- Applicants: Donna Martinez & Stephanie T. Lynum – SHS
- Project: Heritage Outside Classroom: A Garden Project
- Grant award: $2400
- Applicants: Claudia wright, Rachal Ramirez, Venessa Cerda, carol Calderon, Angelita Monroy – Heritage Elem.
- Project: Empowering Learning Environments with Sensory Lighting Equipment: a classroom will be transformed for students with multiple needs and disabilities.
- Grant award: $2000.00
- Applicant: Amy Fulk – Gallardo elem.
- Project: Probing the depths of chemistry: Probeware in the Science Laboratory. This allows students to interface with calculators and a program that will enhance their learning through technology not currently available at SISD.
- Grant award: $2000
- Applicants: Sadie Emery – Southside HS
- Project: Citizen Science at MATTHEY MS: Southside’s Commitment to the Biodiversity Initiative: Student will learn how to research and document global biodiversity.
- Grant award: $850
- Applicant: Dr. Rob Bryson – Matthey MS
- Project: A Novel Idea: Supporting reading and the “Drop Everything and Read” time.
- Grant award: $400
- Applicants: Christina Trager & Claudia Wright – Heritage Elementary