Time: 11:10 a.m.
SISD is monitoring the events associated with Hurricane Harvey, currently in the Gulf of Mexico and projected to make landfall along the South Texas coast Friday evening. Myself and all Bexar County-area superintendents have been in communication and will continue to talk about the weather as it unfolds. In addition, we are also working closely with city and county leaders to have timely information to share with parents, students and staff.
That being said, here are some important notes to be aware of:
- “Meet the Teacher” night will be rescheduled. Our main reason right now is due to the high traffic coming into the city due to gulf coast evacuations. We want to make sure everyone is home safely.
- SAT testing in the Bexar County area HAS BEEN CANCELLED for Saturday Aug. 26, 2017. We will be working closely with the College Board to establish a new testing day.
- SISD is prepped to serve as an emergency shelter if needed. We have not been initiated yet. If we are called to open as a shelter the “old gym” at SHS will be the location open to the public. We will have security and Red Cross along with other agencies as needed.
- If you have any banners or outdoor equipment or signage, please take it down because of the high winds expected.
- Monday August 28th is still scheduled as the first day of school. Bexar County-area superintendents and I will meet at 2 p.m. Sunday to discuss the need for delays and/or cancellations. We will communicate updates immediately following this meeting. As of today we will be open for business on Monday.
- Campuses will be closing at 2 p.m. today, Friday August 25, 2017. Central office will close at 3 p.m.
- As of now, teachers will be allowed to work tomorrow, but this may change.
Please monitor news reports on radio and television, our SISD website, www.southsideisd.org or our social media outlets such as Facebook and Twitter. It is recommended to monitor city websites for additional local and up-to-date information. Also, the city is recommending you download an app “Ready South Texas.”
Mark E. Eads
Proud Southside ISD Superintendent of Schools
“Southside ISD…Soaring to Excellence!”