Attention: Southside ISD Community Members and Parents
Subject: Assignment of Accreditation Status to the Southside ISD
The purpose of this letter is to inform you that the 2015-2016 accreditation status of the Southside ISD is Accredited-Warned. Under state law, the accreditation statuses that may be assigned to districts include Accredited, Accredited-Warned, Accredited-Probation, and Not Accredited-Revoked. A status of Accredited-Warned means that a district exhibits deficiencies in performance that, if not addressed, will lead to probation or revocation of the district’s accreditation status.
The Southside independent school DISTRICT has been assigned an Accredited-Warned status due to a TEA Special Accreditation Investigation and the following violations found as a result:
Finding #1 – There is a systemic breakdown in the Southside Independent School District (SISD) Board of Trustees’ ability to govern and oversee the management of the public schools of the district as required by the Texas Education Code ( Tex. Educ.Code) 11.151(b.). Additionally, the evidence reviewed establishes that SISD failed to comply with the contract procurement requirements of Tex. Educ. Code, Ch 44, Subch. B.
Finding #2 – Members of the SISD Board of Trustees acted individually on behalf of the board in violation of Tex Educ. Code 11.051 (a-1).
The district is taking the following steps to address the areas of identified deficiency.
- Realignment and released personnel units not performing to industry standards or at the expectations of excellence at SISD
- Increased Professional Development and training for staff across the board
- Adjusted and improved systems and procedures with particular focus on finance and contracts
- Hired a New Finance and Operations team to include the deputy superintendent over these areas
- Hired a New Curriculum and Instruction team to include the assistant superintendent over these areas
- Completed and continue internal audits
- Collaborating with Region 20 to confirm we have the appropriate systems and procedures in place
- Conducted research for a facility master plan with oversight systems in place
Under law, if the current accreditation concerns for the district are not addressed, the district may be assigned an accreditation status of Accredited-Probation or Not Accredited-Revoked. A Not Accredited-Revoked status means that the TEA no longer recognizes the district as a Texas public school. Districts with an accreditation status below Accredited also may be subject to additional accreditation sanctions as referenced in statute and rule.
For more information regarding the assignment of accreditation statuses to school districts, you may access the TEA website at http://www.tea.texas.gov/accredstatus/. This website will provide you with background information as well as links to the Texas Education Code and current commissioner’s rules related to accreditation.
If you have additional questions regarding the assignment of an Accredited-Warned status to the Southside ISD, or if you would like additional information about the district’s ongoing improvement efforts, please contact the SISD public information officer for any additional information or questions at 210-882-1600×5119 or click here for the TEA’s explanation in §97.1055. Accreditation Status.
Mark E. Eads