Hello Cardinals! In case you didn’t get a chance to see our school board members in action at our last regular school board meeting August 6, 2015…here are some highlights…( *official board minutes pending approval).
- Director of Professional Development/Academics Kevin Garcia discussed the district’s TEA accountability rating. All campuses “met standards” except Gallardo Elementary which received an “Improvement required” rating. Additionally, the TEA awarded Freedom Elementary and Southside High School three distinction designations each. The accolades resulted in positive news media coverage by Fox 29, WOAI and the San Antonio Express News. Garcia mentioned
- Southside ISD is investing in students’ academic success by making teachers better at how they teach their class. “If we invest in the teachers, we are investing in the students’ success,” he said. Director of Grant Projects Val Gomez presented about the need for grants to have sustainability after the grant program ends. Southside ISD is forming a partnership with Alamo Colleges to develop a certified nursing assistant program and a logistics program. The district is also launching a parent engagement program called Padres Comprometidos with the National Council of La Raza, the National Education Association, and the Texas State Teacher’s Association. The innovative program will launch at Pearce Primary. The Department of Communications is working on a promotional campaign with both initiatives to net more great media coverage!
- Facility and Construction Coordinator Mr. Randy Young gave an update on buses. They took $19,000 and completely re-did an old bus and now it is almost brand new. They painted and power washed every single bus in our district over the summer. Mr. Young says they bought 15 buses in 2009, but about 2 years into the life of the buses. They all started having oil leaks. They are asking for resolution and more money to help with the issue.
- Consultant Rich Morris updated the trustees on HR, Risk Management and the Safety & Security Committee. Among the several ongoing efforts, he says he and several departments are continuing to work on a number of projects. There is still a lot of work to be done.
- Child Nutrition Director Julian Monreal talked about the importance of raising lunch rates to be in compliance. The proposed rate is $1.85 for elementary students and $2.35 for secondary students.
- The Board of Trustees approved the previous minutes.
- The Board approved increasing the lunch price as proposed to be in compliance.
- The Board approved all new employees as presented by the Chief of Staff.
- The Board tabled a question on waiver of “leave time”.
- The Board accepted resignations.
Fall Regular Scheduled Board Meetings:
- September 3rd at 6:00pm
- October 1st at 6:00pm
- November 5th at 6:00pm
- December 3rd at 6:00pm